You’re curious, courageous and authentic. So are we.
What else do we have in common? You’re creative, strategic and results-driven. You’re a great communicator and a great collaborator. You do the right thing. Those are our values, too. Bottom line:
We’re dedicated to making a difference for our clients and the world at large – and having fun while we do it.
Shelton Group is the nation’s leading marketing communications agency exclusively focused in the energy and environment sectors. We’re the experts, and that’s reflected in our impressive and growing roster of clients.
We’ve built a highly creative team here in Knoxville, one that loves to work hard and laugh hard. And we sleep well at night knowing that we do good work: good for our clients, and good for the rest of us, too.
If you’re a dedicated professional who wants to advance your career in this rapidly growing and increasingly relevant sector – and you want to have fun while you’re doing it – Shelton Group just might be the place for you.
What can you expect if you come to work at Shelton Group? Take a look through our Orientation Guide to get a sense of our culture, what we care about, and what makes us laugh.
Title: Account Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Account Management
Reports To: Casey Ward
Do you speak CMO and CEO?
Are you one of those people who sees patterns, generates ideas, knows how to lay out a vision and inspires others to head down the path with you? Are you jazzed by business and get a thrill out of helping large companies succeed by being “one of the good guys?”
If so, meet Shelton Group, the nation’s leading marketing communications firm exclusively focused in sustainability. We help some of the most powerful organizations in the world realize a market advantage as a result of their commitments and actions on sustainability. We have a spot open for an Account Director to help our clients identify opportunities, overcome obstacles and properly position themselves as sustainability leaders. It means helping clients see opportunities that might not be obvious, making a data-driven case, and then crafting the action plan to get to market. It means partnering with and leading internal resources to create the story and produce assets to tell the story. And it means growing relationships, trust and revenue with those clients as a direct result of your actions.
Account Directors at Shelton Group are a hybrid — part business management consultant, part communications director – advising clients in real time about how to leverage sustainability as a business strategy and directing creative and digital team members to craft compelling stories. The Account Director takes the lead in determining the problems clients need to solve and the opportunities they can leverage, and partners with internal resources in creating and proposing solutions. This requires maintaining deep, consultative relationships with senior-level client and agency contacts; maintaining a deep understanding of the client’s business, market situation, products and competitive set as well as an understanding of our latest market insights and the marketing industry; and becoming both a trusted advisor to clients and to the broader project and account teams. It also requires an ability to ask insightful questions, connect disparate dots, apply research insights and marketing industry knowledge, and think on your feet. This role is about creating a vision for clients AND the hands-on creation of solutions for clients – and about driving revenue for the firm in the process. Additionally, this role oversees client projects, ensuring deliverables are completed in an efficient manner – on time and on budget. And this role involves leading one or more large accounts and/or several small-to-large accounts.
Create and manage strategy for assigned accounts, generate results that meet client expectations/achieve stated goals, grow AGI of client base year-over-year.
- Leads senior-level relationships with clients and key Shelton Group players. Establishes trusted advisor relationships in which clients and colleagues seek out advice and counsel and in which you identify and offer up opportunities and ideas.
- Is a strategic partner to assigned clients by demonstrating a deep understanding of their market and business sectors and their specific challenges and opportunities. Provides thought leadership, insights, and perspectives that support client initiatives and align services and solutions with client needs.
- Is a true marketing and business consultant, able to recommend strategic ideas that connect to a client’s business strategy and position the client for market success; able to write and articulate marketing communications plans that allow a client to fully leverage their sustainability commitments and actions to build their brand and/or sell products.
- Maintains existing business relationship with assigned clients by staying closely connected to internal project teams, monitoring progress of ongoing client projects, as needed, and helping to address and resolve promptly, accurately, effectively, and to the client’s satisfaction, any issues or problems that may arise.
- Presents ideas and recommendations effectively, in an engaging, confidence-building manner – both in prepared presentations and extemporaneously in client meetings.
- Regularly analyzes the profitability and growth of assigned client accounts through KPIs and other metrics; utilizes data in decision-making to maintain or improve account portfolio performance.
- Creates strong and effective internal partnerships with Research and Insights, Creative, Digital, and Client Management teams; collaborates across the business to ensure client needs are met and projects stay within scope, budget, timeline, quality, and other Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Maintains and utilizes a long-term, holistic view of the client’s business.
- Takes ownership of personal actions and outcomes and encourages and empowers others to do the same.
- Focuses own and the team’s efforts on achieving SMART objectives aligned to the Company’s Strategic Imperatives; acknowledges employees’ efforts and rewards results.
- Thinks strategically as well as tactically and takes a “big picture” perspective of the client.
- Sets high and clearly defined standards for direct reports; provides current, objective, and complete positive and constructive feedback and addresses performance concerns directly, fairly, and in a timely manner.
- Serves as a coach and mentor; provides coaching and feedback on specific skill development and encourages employees to pursue upward and lateral growth opportunities to enhance expertise and drive career development.
- Provides specific, objective feedback to direct reports through written performance reviews as part of the Performance Management program.
- Creates strong and effective internal partnerships and collaborates across the Company; listens and values the opinions of others.
Is an effective team member; supports the team by pitching in at any level and effectively working across the organization to meet the needs of the business.
- Proactively seeks to increase revenue by translating assigned client’s challenges into opportunities to sell additional products and services across the Shelton Group portfolio.
- Develops and executes targeted “white space” opportunities for greater penetration of the client’s marketing spend through selling adjacent services or expanding into new client product lines.
- Leads the development and delivery of innovative proposals.
- Ensures client retention is maximized by facilitating the delivery of custom tailored solutions to meet clients’ objectives and expectations.
All other duties assigned by supervisor or otherwise directed by the Company
Qualifications / Requirements
- College degree (e.g. Bachelor of Arts) or equivalent degree within appropriate discipline such as Business, Marketing, Communications.
- Graduate degree or MBA (Masters of Business Administration) preferred.
- 8-10 years of experience managing and advising clients.
- Sustainability communications or as a business strategy experience, a plus.
- Previous experience supervising others.
- Proven experience successfully managing and advising clients in a Creative, Public Relations, or Consulting firm.
- Proven experience meeting or exceeding sales targets with new and existing clients.
- Proven experience leading relationships and helping clients develop and deploy marketing communications within one or more industries.
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of business models, objectives, financial metrics, etc. used in decision-making; demonstrated ability to build sound business cases to support innovative initiatives.
- Strong grasp of the business landscape and how public perception of a company’s actions and words can either drive or hamper growth.
- Strong understanding of effective digital, social and media practices, trends, techniques, and processes across various touchpoints or mediums.
- Strong understanding of effective Research/Insights practices, trends, techniques, and processes (e.g. secondary, quantitative, qualitative).
- Strong problem-solving skills; ability to proactively identify and implement effective solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to build new relationships and nurturing existing relationships with internal and external clients.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and adapt to the requirements of various client accounts; excellent client management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to profitably grow business revenue with new and existing clients.
- Demonstrated ability to influence decisions at all levels; excellent negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to make effective decisions in challenging situations and/or under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, mentor and manage individual contributors.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and develop collaborative relationships with colleagues across the Company; willingness to work with colleagues at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to manage heavy workloads, prioritize work appropriately, and meet assigned deadlines; excellent organizational and analytical skills (including attention to detail).
- Strong presentation and communication skills (written, verbal).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office for Mac
- Ability to travel to client locations as needed.
Bottom line, if you enjoy working at a fast pace and solving clients’ problems … if you love thinking strategically and seeing beyond the numbers to the clients’ real threats and opportunities … if you love to learn and are excited to work inside a growing agency that gives you the opportunity to work with a range of skillsets and disciplines, then you may be our perfect match!
Please send your resume and cover letter highlighting your experience and fit for the job to [email protected].
Digital Marketing Manager
Use your digital powers for good
Location: Knoxville, TN
Shelton Group is the nation’s leading marketing communications firm exclusively dedicated to the sustainability sector. We help some of the most powerful organizations on the planet gain a market advantage by doing the right thing for the planet. How do we do it? By gathering rich market insights that help our clients make the right environmental and social purpose commitments, develop more environmentally friendly products, evolve what their brands stand for, and fuel the right stories and market engagement campaigns.
Summary of Position: The Digital Marketing Manager is a results-driven individual who is able to understand every client’s big picture (goals, objectives, market position and key strategies – what we’re doing for them and why we’re doing it) while directly ensuring all projects performed for each client in service of that bigger picture are executed accurately, on time and on budget, and doing so in a fast-paced environment where smart decisions must be made quickly. This position manages and executes digital strategy for our clients and drives digital growth opportunities.
The Digital Marketing Manager is responsible for developing, directing and supervising all agency digital media initiatives and assisting with development of new client leads and participate in new business presentations.
We’re looking for a seasoned digital marketer who can:
- Represent Shelton Group to clients in business development, kickoff, and progress meetings
- Lead ideas for digital strategy and execution, including sites, apps, digital media, social media, email campaigns, content marketing, and more
- Develop and help execute media plans
- Manages and implements PPC, Paid Social, Programmatic, and other advertising tactics.
- Develop and help execute content strategy
- Create intuitive user experiences in the form of annotated site maps, user flows, wireframes and other common UX deliverables
- Plan and implement all browser/device compatibility, user acceptance, usability and quality assurance testing
- Analyze campaigns, and recommend tactical changes to maximize campaign performance
- Ensure that key stakeholders are fully informed of progress and performance.
- Collaborate with internal and external resources to ensure on-time, on-spec, and on-budget delivery of digital products
- Oversee technical development teams, both in-house and outsourced
- Assist in pricing and scheduling of more complex digital products and projects
- Ensure that key stakeholders are fully informed of progress and performance
- Manage digital analytics reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in advertising, marketing communications or related field
- 5+ years in digital marketing and web technologies
- 2+ years in a management
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task, work successfully with teams, and work under pressure
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to develop fully integrated digital marketing plans, with the added knowledge of customer engagement strategy
- While not a true developer, understands HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, WordPress and other digital technologies
- Comfortable working alongside developers working in WordPress, HubSpot and other website and app platforms
- Must know WordPress and how to work with clients that don’t have a basic understanding
- Able to develop and translate google analytics and other various digital metrics and reporting
- Understands and able to implement marketing automation/lead nurture campaigns
- Digital advertising expertise including setting up, running, and optimizing of Google search and display ads, programmatic advertising, and other social and digital advertising platforms.
- Understands SEO best practices including keyword research and site optimization
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
Bottom line, if you enjoy working at a fast pace and solving clients’ problems with digital expertise… if you love thinking strategically and seeing beyond the numbers to the clients’ real threats and opportunities … if you love to learn and are excited to work inside a growing agency that gives you the opportunity to work with a range of skillsets and disciplines, then you may be our perfect match!
Please send your resume and cover letter highlighting your experience and fit for the job to [email protected].
Shelton Group is the nation’s leading marketing communications agency exclusively dedicated to the energy and environment sectors. We help some of the most influential organizations on Earth gain a market advantage by doing the right thing for people and the planet. So how do we do it? By gathering rich market insights that help our clients make the right environmental and social purpose commitments, develop more environmentally friendly products, evolve what their brands stand for, and fuel the right stories and market engagement campaigns.
We seek a Sustainability Copywriter to create communication constructs, write and edit clear, engaging copy for sustainability/ESG reports, websites, campaigns, and other forms of communication. This position requires someone self-sufficient, who takes the initiative, and who is resourceful — someone who can perform with complete confidence because they genuinely know the world of ESG.
Specifically, You Will:
- Lead the development of client sustainability communication constructs – a foundational roadmap that’s both inspirational and functional that drives all ESG communications efforts.
- Write content for social media, blogs, websites, press releases, newsletters, presentations, case studies, educational materials, sustainability/ESG reports, and other related communications needs — all within the guard rails of the FTC’s green guides, our Pulse insights, and the client’s brand voice.
- Coordinate with the ESG Content Director, Creative, Digital Marketing and Business Development, Research, Accounts, and other internal departments to gather and generate content.
- Prepare well-structured drafts that clearly demonstrate your knowledge of target audience(s), your ability to do research, and due diligence on a subject, industry, company/organization, and technology.
- Execute excellent writing skills — grammar, vocabulary, attention to detail, etc.
- Collaborate with team members to create innovative content ideas, develop and confidently edit content written by others.
- Manage and share your project schedules, and coordinate with team members for deliverables, drafts, versions, and content on time.
- Ensure quality control of your written material, i.e., proofreading before publication and helping others edit and proofread communication projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism, or related experience in the agency field.
- Experience with sustainability and ESG communications is a must.
- Excellent writing skills, as well as the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively.
- The ability to consistently meet fast and tight deadlines.
- Proficiency with online collaboration tools such as Gather Content, Figma/Fig Jam, or similar software.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite, especially MS Word and PowerPoint, and other similar software.
- A lifelong learner and sustainability content consumer.
- Sustainability Reporting Certifications a huge plus (GRI, SASB, IR, etc.)
Bottom line, if you’re committed to ESG, love to learn, and are excited to work inside a growing firm with a bunch of other committed and fun people, then you may be our perfect match.
Are we describing you? Then get in touch with us now. Please send your résumé, cover letter highlighting your experience and fit for the job, AND a link to an online portfolio of your work to [email protected].
- This position will require work to be performed either onsite/in an office at a second-floor location with no elevator access and/or remotely.
- Requires sitting for long periods.
- Requires frequent alpha/numeric keyboarding and navigation of basic software programs.
- Requires effective and professional communications over the phone and in person.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, including but not limited to a computer screen, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Requires occasional travel.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential job functions of this job. Office conditions and noise level is typical of most office environments with telephones, personal interruptions, and background noise.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Are you a freelancer looking to join a purpose for progress? Shelton Group is one of the nation’s leading marketing communications firms exclusively focused on the sustainability sector. Right now, we’re looking for top-notch freelancers that understand the language of sustainability to help us develop outstanding:
- Skilled/Seasoned Researcher with Qualitative or Quantitative experience
- Digital assets/campaigns
- Brand strategy
If you excel in any of these areas send us your resume and cover letter highlighting your experience and how you feel you could best contribute to our mission and purpose to [email protected].