Satisfaction levels differ with the ways customers get and pay their utility bills.
Shelton’s 2013 Utility Pulse study found that customers are more satisfied when they have control of how they get their bills and pay them.
How do customers receive their bills?
- 57 percent get their bills only by mail
- 26 percent only by email
- 17 percent get both paper and email bills
How do they pay their utility bills?
- With a check
- 29 percent in the mail
- 12 percent at a utility office or drop box
- 41 percent total
- 24 percent through the utility website
- 23 percent through a banking website
- 11 percent autopay from a checking account
- 59 percent total
Customers definitely want to choose their method of paying this monthly bill, as it gives them a feeling of control.
Moreover, those who pay via a paperless method are more satisfied with their utility than those who pay with a check.