Explore the data:
The value structure in America has more common roots than the headlines would have you believe.
...that we all deserve a clean planet.
- 76% of respondents agree, "People have a right to clean air and water."
- 70% agree, "We have a moral duty to leave the earth in as good or better shape than we found it."
- 65% agree, "Working to try to prevent environmental damage for the future is really part of being a good parent."
…there’s a big problem happening with our environment.
- 65% said they agree that global warming, or climate change, is occurring and it is primarily caused by human activity.
…everyone bears responsibility for fixing environmental problems.
- 88% agree the average person should be taking concrete steps to reduce his or her environmental impact.
- 78% said they feel at least moderately responsible to change daily purchase habits and practices to positively impact the environment.
Words that unite:
The words “Science,” “Conservation” and “Sustainability” all receive not only a high number of positive scores, but a negligible number of negative scores.
Words that divide:
In comparison, the terms “Environmental Stewardship,” “Regulation” and “Carbon Footprint” are clearly more divisive than unifying.
Explore Other Resources
We share the wealth of insights based on our proprietary research.
Waking the Sleeping Giant: What Middle America knows about plastic waste and how they’re taking action
Consumers care about the problem of plastic waste more than ever – more than climate change, in fact, our research reveals. Now is the time for brands to create solutions and tell their stories before the sleeping giant awakens.
Eco Pulse 2019 Special Report: A Period of Change
Once upon a time, feminine hygiene was a topic simply not mentioned in polite society – and options were limited to an aisle of single-use products.
Getting Your Company to the Front of the Pack
Learn the stages of corporate sustainability development – from creating an initial strategy to companywide plan execution – and see how your business stacks up against others.